Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Around The Yard

I took some "glamor shots" of the things blooming in our front yard a couple weeks ago.  It was that magical time in upstate NY when spring finally arrives and everyone gets out of their winter funk and is nice to each other.  Well, for a week or two at least.

First specimen: Apple blossoms

Cherry blossoms

Forsythia (the plant that makes you sound like you have a lisp)

We had this pretty shrub that I don't know the name of.  Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

An actual honey bee (yes, they still exist) enjoying the last of the rhododendron.

The one plant that really thrives in our yard.  Anyway, I don't care what anyone says.  I like dandelions.

The first buds of my favorite yard plant: lilac.  Unfortunately, this year's crop was pretty thin.  Anyone else have the same problem?

What could this giant leafy thing be?  I'll give you three guesses...

WRONG. Just kidding.  It's RHUBARB!  My mother does not like rhubarb but I'm trying to turn her on to it.  I never even had rhubarb until I was an adult.  Now I'm obsessed!
I can smell the pie already...

Now what's this strange plant??

Uhoh, it's a big giant dogface!

Pip says, "Stop taking pictures of plants, do-do."

"I'm so much more interesting."

Oh dear.
Byeeeee!

3 comments:

Tracy K said...

hi hi. what do you do with rhubarb? i only like it as chutney, but always looking for other sugar-free uses....
oh, and not to rub it in, but our lilacs in woodstock were just as lovely and smelly as always.
tk

jules said...

Hi Tracy!
I just like rhubarb crumble or pie but I have heard of delicious savory dishes made with rhubarb. Robin's mom used to talk about a friend who makes some killer chicken dish with rhubarb.
Nobody's lilacs seemed too spectacular around here this year. Oh well. I'm holding out for my peonies.

Anonymous said...

Well, my peonies in NYC have not bloomed for the second year this year. i'm about ready to pull it up. So sad. No buds at all (and there used to be loads).
It's still early for Woodstock's peonies, but they haven't let me down, yet.

Post a Comment