Friday, September 18, 2009

Farmers Market, Schmarmers Market

Saratoga has a big farmers market that opens every Wednesday and Saturday. 

They've got lots of vendors selling everything from microgreens to free-range lamb shanks.  As much as I would like to say I shop there every week for beautiful organic ingredients that I then lovingly prepare in my kitchen, I kinda, sorta... don't.  I actually find the farmers market a little annoying and pretentious.  It's such a scene and it seems like most of the people there are there because they want the other people there to know that they are buying their food there and not at, say, the Price Chopper on Rt. 50.  Plus, it's kind of expensive.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have a farmers market and I'm all for local and fresh and not buying tomatoes in February from "The Walmarts".  But when I want local and fresh I don't go to no stinkin' farmers market.  I head straight for the farm stands.


Farm stands are quite ubiquitous around these parts.  There are the big nice farm stands with wooden huts and scales and lots of different offerings throughout the growing season.  There are other, more modest farm stands where people just leave veggies out and coffee can to put your money in.  (We are honest folk around here, you big city types.)  Then there's the not-quite farm stand that the house down the road sets up which is a piece of plywood set on an old kitty litter bucket.  They put out cucumbers and tomatoes when they have extra with a little cardboard sign saying "FRee".  Kitty litter aside, free veggies!  Chew on that, Farmers Market!


I like to drive around the area and see what kinds of things different people are selling.  It's like a roving farmers market/treasure hunt.  Of course it goes without saying that the prices are probably half at these places if not less.  You may not get baby arugula or fresh edamame.  It may not be officially, USDA 100% Certified Organic but come on.  It was grown right back there, in the garden, by the guy down the road.  I'm sure it's fine.  Have a little faith. 


Then BJ Farms decided to open a branch of its popular west side farm stand right down the street from us. 

Rt. 9 Wilton


I was very excited because they have fantastic corn (sold at the local "Hannafords") and I am somewhat of a corn afficionado.  Coming from Ohio I know corn and I know what's good and what's not.  BJ's is good.  Not Ohio good, mind you, but I am biased.

Sweet corn... mmmmmm


So anyway, this is where I got most of my produce this summer.  Wonderful blueberries and melons (to keep my fruit addiction healthy), corn corn corn, tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini.  More on the zucchini to come...

 


So long live the farm stand.  Keep putting those cukes out by the side of the road and I will keep putting my quarters in your coffee can.  Kitty litter and all.


Byeeeee!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your attitude towards "Farmer's Market." Notice the lady infront of the fancy Farmer's Market sign. Doesn't she look like a typicall market goer? Love the pictures of the delicious produce at the roadside stands.
Woomom

Occasional Human Blogger said...

I hope some of those "Farmer's Market" Goers don't read this post and do something drastic like set your house ablaze! They take their
sh-t real serious. Great posts Jewel - So many photos!

Anonymous said...

What is worse than an outdoor Farmer's Market in the summer, an indoor Farmer's Market in the Winter. Just went to a grand opening of our indoor Farmer's Market (the town should remain nameless for security.) Before I know it, I had bought 2 small squares of cheese, 4 little squash and 6 oz. of local alpaca wool and I had spent $47!!!! Also had to wait patiently on a long line to check out and pay since the chasiers are not too swift with the money. I think it sure is costly to support our local organic producers. I believe only the rich can shop here and be cool.
Woomom

Post a Comment